BBL Photofacial for Skin Rejuvenation
Conveniently located to serve the areas of Walnut Creek, CA
BBL Photofacial is a skin rejuvenation treatment that uses light energy to improve the appearance of the skin. Broad Band Light (BBL) is a technology that sets new standards for treating skin conditions associated with aging and sun damage. Rejuvenation procedures have drastically improved in the past few decades, due to advancements in energy-based technologies. These newer techniques can produce much better results than older methods, such as chemical peels or older lasers, which are not suitable for all skin types.  BBL energy can be precisely adjusted to target specific problem areas on your face, neck, chest, or hands. The result is a more youthful appearance with fewer fine lines and wrinkles, age spots, and uneven skin tone.
In Walnut Creek, CA, Dr. Amit Rajguru is board-certified in Internal Medicine and an experienced specialist in Anti-Aging and Regenerative and Functional Medicine. Evolved Medical offers an expansive range of treatments that will keep you looking and feeling your best. We will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan based on your unique needs and goals. Call (925) 433-8444 or fill out our request form to book your consultation today!
- 1 All About Broad Band Light
- 2 What are the benefits of Broad Band Light?
- 3 Who is the Ideal Candidate for a BBL Photofacial?
- 4 Personal Consultation
- 5 How to Prepare for Your Photofacial Treatment
- 6 What to Expect During Your Photorejuvenation Treatment
- 7 Recovery
- 8 What are the Results of BBL Photofacial in California?
- 9 Corresponding and Complementary Procedures
- 10 What is the Cost of BBL Photofacial in Walnut Creek, CA?
- 11 References
All About Broad Band Light
Are you ready to broaden your mind? Here’s everything you need to know about intense pulsed light (IPL), the technology behind BBL photorejuvenation treatments:
What is Intense Pulsed Light?
Intense pulsed light (IPL) devices are high-intensity light sources that use a high-output flashlamp to produce a broad wavelength output of light, usually in the 500 to 1200nm range. IPL treatments use a range of different light wavelengths to target specific skin concerns. BBL specifically uses broadband light, which is a range of light waves. BBL can be used to treat a variety of skin concerns, including:
- Sun damage
- Age spots
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Large pores and uneven texture
How Does Broad Band Light Work?
IPL uses the principle of selective thermolysis; that is, some skin components absorb energy more readily than others. In this case, IPL applies energy to chromophores, which absorb the light energy, and a thermal effect is created that eventually destroys them. Because they all have absorption peaks that are lower than the surrounding tissues, they can be targeted without damaging the tissue around them.
There are three main chromophores in our skin – hemoglobin, water, and melanin.
- Hemoglobin is present in our blood. Those with visible blood vessels or unwanted redness see improvement after this chromophore is targeted, and the responsible blood vessels are shut down and fade from sight.
- When the water in our skin absorbs energy, the thermal effect causes existing collagen to contract, and new, healthy collagen to be produced for firmer, smoother skin.
- Melanin is what gives our skin its color, and concentrated areas of melanin are to blame for dark spots and birthmarks.
Because IPL treatment use a wide range of wavelengths, the treatments can be adjusted to target a single concern or address several in each session. 
Light therapy is a safe, effective, and non-invasive way to treat a variety of skin conditions.
Broad Band Light, scientifically speaking, are electromagnetic radiation wavelengths within a specific range of frequencies. The longer the wavelength, the lower the frequency, and the less energy that is being transmitted. Electromagnetic energy is all around us! For example, low frequency wavelengths include radio waves and micro waves. The highest frequency wavelengths are gamma rays, which is what makes nuclear power so efficient, but also so dangerous. Visible light falls roughly in the middle of this range, and includes the individual wavelength frequencies for each color of visible light: ROYGBIV! Broad Band Light’s spectrum of frequencies deliver the energy necessary to treat skin concerns.
What are the benefits of Broad Band Light?
There are many benefits to using broadband light for skin concerns, including:
- Precision– A BBL Photofacial can be precisely adjusted to target specific areas on your face, neck, chest, or hands.
- Safety– BBL is a safe and effective treatment option that is based on proven scientific principles.
- Fast– BBL treatments are fast and convenient, with no downtime required.
- Comfortable– BBL treatments are non-invasive, and the device features a built-in cooling system.
- Affordable– BBL is an affordable treatment option that can save you money in the long run.
We know our patients expect the best possible outcome when they seek nonsurgical cosmetic treatments, which is why we offer BBL photorejuvenation. The benefits of this treatment are numerous, and we believe that our patients will be very pleased with the results.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for a BBL Photofacial?
The ideal candidate for a BBL Photofacial is someone who has skin concerns that include sun damage, age spots, rosacea, redness, port wine stains, fine lines, and wrinkles.
And, BBL is suitable for all skin types, including darker skin.
A BBL Photofacial is ideal for patients who want to avoid unwanted effects, have minimal discomfort, no downtime, and feel like they’re getting their money’s worth.
If you are interested in improving the appearance of your skin, contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rajguru. He will help you decide if BBL Photofacial is the right treatment option for you.
During your personal consultation, Dr. Rajguru will:
- Review your medical history
- Discuss your goals for treatment
- Conduct an examination of your skin
- Explain your options
- Develop a customized treatment plan based on your unique needs and goals.
Dr. Rajguru is always happy to answer any and all of his patients’ questions. If a BBL Photofacial is not ideal for you, he will be able to recommend alternative treatment options.
Are you ready to improve the appearance of your skin? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Rajguru today! Call (925) 433-8444 or message us to request an appointment.
How to Prepare for Your Photofacial Treatment
There is no special preparation required for BBL treatments. However, we do recommend that you avoid sun exposure for at least two weeks before your treatment. You’ll also want wait several weeks if you’ve had a chemical peel, and stop using products with glycolic acid and retinol the week before your appointment. This will help to ensure that your skin is not damaged during the treatment.
What to Expect During Your Photorejuvenation Treatment
BBL treatments are fast and convenient, with no downtime required. The treatment will take place in our office and will last for about 30 minutes.
During the treatment, you’ll rest comfortably, and a cooling gel will be applied to your skin. This gel will help to protect your skin from broadband light energy. You will also be given protective eyewear.
Your skin will then be exposed to broadband light energy from the Photofacial device. The light energy will be administered in short pulses at frequencies that are adjusted to your specific areas of concern. You may feel a warm sensation during the treatment, but this is normal and is easily tolerated.
After the treatment, the gel will be removed from your skin and you are welcome to resume your normal activities!
You should avoid sun exposure for at least two weeks after your treatment. This will help to protect your skin from damage. You may see some redness and swelling after the treatment, but this is normal and will resolve within a few hours.
What are the Results of BBL Photofacial in California?
The full results of the treatment will be visible after about four to six weeks.
Patients can expect to look naturally refreshed and enjoy long-lasting results
Additionally, patients can expect the following:
- Firmer skin
- Less noticeable fine lines and wrinkles
- A decrease in age spots, sun damage, and redness
- Smaller pores and improved acne
- An overall improvement in skin tone and texture
The results of BBL Photofacial in California are long-lasting, but you may need multiple sessions to see the best results. Furthermore, patients with certain skin concerns may need periodic treatments to maintain their results.
If you are interested in improving the appearance of your skin, contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rajguru.
Corresponding and Complementary Procedures
Another incredible treatment to improve your skin’s appearance is platelet-rich plasma or PRP Facelift, a minimally invasive procedure, which can be done in conjunction with BBL Photofacial to give you even more profound results.
PRP is a natural substance that is derived from your own blood. It contains growth factors that can help to improve the health and appearance of your skin. Growth factors are proteins that help to stimulate the growth of new cells.
What is the Cost of BBL Photofacial in Walnut Creek, CA?
The cost of BBL Photofacial in Walnut Creek, CA will vary depending on the number of treatments that you need and the area that is being treated.
During your consultation, Dr. Rajguru will develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs. Call us today to get started!
- Waibel JS. Photorejuvenation. Dermatologic Clinics. 2009;27(4):445-457. doi:10.1016/j.det.2009.08.007
- Goldberg DJ. Current Trends in Intense Pulsed Light. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. 2012;5(6):45-53. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3390232/